How to make Chapati - Indian everyday flat bread:
Ingredients for chapati:
- whole wheat flour- 2 cups+ some for applying while rolling.
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- oil - 2 teaspoon+ some more.
- water for mixing dough.
Making chapati dough
- Mix the flour, salt, 2 teaspoon oil.
- Add water and make into a soft dough.
- Knead well and keep aside for half an hour.
- After half an hour, knead the dough some more and make into large lemon size balls.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the ball into three inch diameter round.
- Apply a little oil. Fold into half, apply a little oil, fold again.
- Sprinkle a little dry flour and roll into a round of about 5-6 inch diameter.
- Heat a girdle/ tava/ skillet / frypan on medium heat.
- When it is hot, place the rolled chapati on it.
- When the top starts to bubble up, turn and cook on the other side for a few seconds.
- Turn again and the chapati will puff up. We cook the chapati till it has brown spots on both sides.
- Remove from fire.
Apply a spoonfull of ghee(clarified butter) and put in a closed container. Serve hot with any spicy vegetable curry. Potatos go well with chapati.
How to make aloo raita
For Alu Raita : ingredients. :
- boiled and roughly mashed potatoes - 2-3
- 2 cups curd(plain yoghurt)
- salt - according to taste.
- oil - two teaspoons.
- mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
- cumin seeds -1/4 teaspoon
- asafoetida - a pinch
- Chopped fresh coriander / dhania leaves - 1 tbsp
To make tadka / tempering for aloo raita
- Heat oil, add mustard and cumin seed.
- when they start spluttering, add asafoetida, curry leaves.
- Remove from fire. Tempering / tadka is ready
Mixing aloo raitha
- Mix together mashed potatoes, salt, curd.
- Add cooled tadka to the potato mixture.
- Serve with chapatis or paranthas.